It takes an incredible team of individuals to do the work we do.
We’d like you to get to know one of our dedicated Dragonfly Child & Youth Counsellors, Hannah. She shares with us what her role entails and what a typical day looks like in her position and much more!
- What inspired you to become a CYC?
I first pursued a career in business and after working in an office setting for a year, I knew I was meant to do something more. The helping profession of Child and Youth Care seemed like the best fit for my interests and goal of supporting others. During my practicums and through my role here at Dragonfly I know I have made the right choice.
- What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Seeing kids open up and be willing to try new things.
- What is your favourite strategy to share with clients?
- What advice would you give to someone who is struggling?
Doing what you can to make positives changes may take time…don’t look at all the steps you have to take. Just focus on one positive change at a time. The first positive change could be telling someone you are struggling and asking for help.
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned as a CYC?
The importance of meeting someone where they’re at. Different approaches to entering a therapeutic relationship are needed for each individual and not all coping strategies work for everyone.
- What do you enjoy most about working at the dragonfly centre?
The welcoming and helpful nature of all the Dragonfly staff team. While it is important to meet our clients where they are at the Dragonfly team also helps meet each other where they are at as well. I believe this is why the
- What has been your proudest moment since joining Dragonfly?
Being apart of such a great team!
- What does the typical “day in the life” as a CYC look like?
I would say every day can be different. Visiting each school is unique in the sense of needs and caseload. I spend a portion of my mornings connecting with the FOW’s at each school to discuss any updates or new student referrals. The rest of my day is then structured by seeing kids who are present.
- Share a surprising or fun fact about yourself?
My favourite summer activity is canning the produce from my garden…specifically dill pickles!
Check back to meet more of our Dragonfly Team!