All counselling services are free and confidential.
Dragonfly Centre understands that many survivors feel unsure, worried, or fearful about accessing counselling. It is our top priority to ensure that clients feel comfortable, informed, and in control of their own healing journey. Our agency takes a trauma informed approach in all aspects of our work in order to create an environment of respect and safety for our clients.
Counselling services are free and confidential for anyone who as been impacted directly or indirectly by sexual violence at any point in their life (recent or historical).
- Our counsellors travel to all communities within the North East Central Region of Alberta to ensure our services are accessible for everyone.
- Counselling is conducted by professionals trained in specialized services for survivors of sexual violence.
- Up to 12 sessions. The length of service is always individualized and assessed by you and your counsellor.
- Sessions are approximately 50 minutes long and occur either weekly or biweekly.
- Appointments are scheduled Monday-Friday during business hours.
Our counsellors can provide in-person, phone, or video sessions.
- Treatment methods include Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Narrative Therapy, Mindfulness Approaches and other traditional models.
Child & Youth Counselling
Any person 16 years old + may access services without parental/guardian consent.
- Any person younger than 16 years of age must be deemed a “mature minor” by a professional or have parent/guardian consent for counselling. We encourage youth that are not aware of their privacy rights to call our office or text our confidential line for more information.
- We provide each individual with 12 counselling sessions, however services can be individualized based on needs.
- Sessions are approximately 30-50 minutes long (age and ability dependent) and occur either weekly or bimonthly.
- Appointments are scheduled Monday-Thursday during business hours.
- Our agency has partnered with many schools within the region and based on client needs, our services may be offered at the clients’ school during school hours.
- Treatment methods include Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT), Play Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Supportive Counselling, and other traditional models.
Personal Safety & Wellness Program (Psycho-Education)
Personal Safety & Wellness is a free, learning-based program for children and youth (ages 3-18) intended to establish a sense of safety and well-being. Topics covered include age-appropriate information about body-safety and awareness, positive communication skills, identifying appropriate boundaries, emotional regulation, healthy relationships, and consent.
Program facilitators will work with parents/guardians to tailor the program to meet each individual’s needs. This program is also appropriate for individuals with differing cognitive abilities.
Sexual violence impacts more than just the survivor. Often parents/guardians, spouses/partners, siblings, friends, and other family members struggle to cope with feelings and emotions following a disclosure of sexual assault or abuse. The Dragonfly Centre will provide counselling services to all those impacted by sexual violence directly or indirectly.
We also offer specialized psychoeducational sessions for support persons who would like information and guidance on how to help loved ones who have been impacted by trauma.
Dragonfly Centre understands that living and working in rural communities can pose a barrier to accessing support services. In an effort to reduce barriers we offer distance counselling as an option. Save travel hours and get the necessary help!
Counsellors and support workers are able to schedule a time to connect with clients using the telephone and/or an internet communication application.
Distance counselling options include:
- Video conferencing
- Utilizes computer technologies and an appropriate software application, like Skype to provide face-to-face sessions.
- Hybrid In-person / Distance
- Sometimes a mix of in-person / distance sessions are appropriate. This option is the best of both worlds. Saving on travel while also connecting in-person.
Contact the main office to inquire whether distance counselling is right for you.